The Smart City
Public and Private cooperation is necessary to build the infrastructure of the future.
Smart Cities utilize IT technology to improve Functionality, Return on Investment, and Quality of Life.
Innovative uses of Sensors, Devices, and Things are redefining basic infrastructure and public services.
Interconnected by Dense Bandwidth and processed through Big Data/Analytics, Smart Services are starting to take shape. AI, AR/VR, Voice Commands
and Context Awareness will emerge as disruptive forces in the coming years.
What is a Smart City?
Smart Cities are digitizing the key functions and elements of the public and private sectors that influence Quality of Life, Commerce and Sustainability.
The Smart City concept has had the most impact on transportation, utilities, commerce and public safety.
The key technologies enabling Smart are:
- Internet of Things
- Network Technology-Wired and Wireless
- Big Data, Analytics and Context Awareness
Buildings, Cars, Homes, and Hospitals are utilizing the core technologies to disrupt how life is done. We are at an inflection point.
Smart Cities require Public and Private Collaboration.
Why Smart Cities?
What are the tangible effects of a Smart City?
Connectivity is the Oil of the Giga Economy.
Data Growth will continue to be exponential as Video, Social Media and Things require increased coverage and capacity. We will be exploring these details in depth and invite you to get involved.
There are 8 Markets in the Smart City.
We Focus on the Key Technological Drivers of Change in the Smart City.
Our Value is in the Business Models, Technological, Architectures and Action Plans we
Identify, Nurture, and Disseminate.
Barcelona lists 9 key functional elements to its Smart City Plan that we break into 4 overlapping categories:
- 1. Environmental and Sustainability
- a. Population predicted to move to 70% cities by 2050 (UN). Today 50% of People live in Cities and it creates 70% of the carbon footprint
- 2. Functional-Mobility, Signage, Traffic Flow
- 3. Social-Innovation, Enablement, Inclusion, Tourism, Entertainment
- 4. Commerce
Open Data is a program that Barcelona has implemented that easily allows people to navigate the streets as well as obtain necessary official
documentation and records. This accessibility increases efficiencies that contribute to quality of life and business growth.
- We will be exploring in detail more on Barcelona. Better yet do you have first hand experience? Let us know.
Future Topics and Focus
- Funding Models
- Integrated Platform
- Public Venues
- Fan Experience Bandwidth
- Public Safety
- Mobile ID
- Video Surveillance
- Gunshot Detection
- Emergency Communications
- Leak Detection
- Sewer Levels
- Electromagnetic Emission Monitoring
- Air Quality
- Asset Tracking
- Transportation-benefits=safety, energy consumption, travel time,
- Intelligent Lighting
- Adaptive Signal Control
- Video Monitoring
- Digital Signage
- Roadway Sensors
- School Buses
- Mass Transit Real Time Tracking
- Remote Monitoring
- Smart Parking-Wayfinding, space utilization
- Data Management
- IP Addresses-Everything
- Data Mining
- Privacy-Rio Video
- Data Collection Legal Ownership and dissemination
- Street Furniture
- Wi Fi
- Emerging Networks